Thursday Threads

Good Thursday to you! I’m too busy to write much or write well, but here are some threads catching my attention today.

1. The Iron Lady. This film is a biopic on Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister of The United Kingdom from 1979 – 1990. Because Hollywood hates conservative women, I’m afraid this will be a hit job, but I await the release with huge anticipation. Her arrival at 10 Downing Street was historic, and I’d love to see a fair treatment of her complex personality and contribution to world affairs, but casting Meryl Streep as Thatcher is like casting Sean Penn as Reagan–you can’t get more politically polar. The jury is still out on whether Streep, an outstanding actress, will put aside her own contempt of conservative politics and do right by Maggie.

2. This fantastique French blogger is on her way to publishing a book in 21 days! Kristin Espinasse, my French connection and kindred spirit, is culling hundreds of blogs post to compile into a vignette of French life, to be self-published through Amazon’s CreateSpace. Go Kristin!! She had previously put out a traditional house-published book, also a collection of blog posts, and this new book will pick up where that one left off.

3. Today in history (November 17, 1558) marks the beginning of the Elizabethan Age! (Hello, Shakespeare). Queen Mary Tudor died, and Elizabeth I ascended the English throne. Also on this date in 1603 Sir Walter Raleigh went on trial for treason and today in 1796 Catherine the Great of Russia died. This day was also terrible for the tango: on November 17, 1913, Kaiser Wilhelm in Germany banned the armed forces from dancing the tango.

4. Thanks to give in Detroit.

5. Detroit also has a coffee angel.

6. The secret of contentment.

Random photos from my file (and wow, rearrage the letters of file and you have life!):
the four on bikes
the kids stacking wood

Jo's stained glass window art

Jaime and dog in fort
Luke's eggshell
Have a thrilling Thursday, and wonderful weekend!

~Love Jen

Technorati Tags: , ,

This entry was posted in family life, politics/world news. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Thursday Threads

1. Gina says:

I’m so glad to know about today in history, we’re just wrapping up the Thyme Garden by Edward Eager and just tonight read the chapter where they traveled back to the Elizabethan age. I sense an impromptu history lesson coming up! Thanks for sharing!

2. e-Dad says:

Can’t wait for that film about Margaret Thatcher!!! Didn’t Meryl Streep play Julia Child in Julie & Julia? I think she may do a decent job. This is a film I could take e-Dad to (a political hound) and he would love it. Thanks, enjoyed the trailer. (Love the big hair dos!)

I’ve always thought that since the Brits have a female monarch, they were ready to accept a female Prime Minister.

Have a good weekend Jen! ((Hugs))

3. Pauline Bandiera says:

Hello how are you? Children are very nice, and they grew. I miss USA and your family.
    Pauline.

Hi Gina ~ I haven’t read Thyme Garden yet w/ my kids, thanks for the comment on that!

e-Mom, The film opens on Jan. 6, I think! Yes, Streep was Julia, and that was certainly the highlight of Julie & Julia. Good point on British politics.

Enjoy your weekend–guess what? We have lots of snow here today!! Do you miss that, even just a bit?? ;-)

Pauline, bonjour my friend!! How fun to hear from you! We miss you too and hope you get to come visit again!! I’ll send you an email with some more pictures! ~amicalement, Jennifer

LOL, Um no. I don’t miss the snow. Because we rarely got it in the Seattle area! Just lots of gray, gray, gray. Did I tell you how much I love Arizona pink?

(OK, I do miss Ivar’s smoked salmon, the San Juan Islands, and those gorgeous snow-covered mountain peaks like Mt. Rainier and Mt. Hood.)

I get to enjoy snow reading your blog! BTW, I haven’t a clue how to decorate for Christmas… ღ

e-Mom, maybe just put up a large cactus for your decoration? ;-)

I miss that Arizona pink, it’s glorious!