How to Draw a Self-Portrait (and some wisdom from the child)

Little L's self portrait

I think my boy here could give some art lessons on self-portraiture {and life}.

1. Know how many freckles adorn your face and love them all. {Or, love every unique mark the Lord has blessed upon your countenance, and love that you are wonderfully made.}

2. Realize how far your ears really stick out. {Or, be aware of your faults, your weaknesses, your differences, and make them as darn cute as possible.}

3. Make your eyes brighter than they really are. {Or, know that the eyes are the gate to the soul, and work to let all the love of God pour out through them and smile through them, too, and so bless those who look upon you.}

4. Draw yourself happy. {Or, remember that a cheerful heart is good medicine, and the joy of the Lord is your strength, so do not grieve.}

Thank you, Little L. for the art lesson.

Technorati Tags: , ,

This entry was posted in arts & crafts, education, family life, humor. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to How to Draw a Self-Portrait (and some wisdom from the child)

1. Gina says:

He is such a sweet young man, I love his creation!

Thanks, Gina! He drew this for the art/science fair last month and enjoyed his first “art show.”

3. Reagan says:

What a gift! He is darn cute too!

4. Anna says:

Wonderful art lesson for all ages!

5. heidi says:

It is those who realize they are loved as they are who are willing to share themselves with others…

How encouraging to see life through his VERY bright eyes.

6. Julia says:

I am happy to say that i have actually been able to see this portrait in person, and better yet, to have been hugged enthusiasticly by this same young man. What a gift. I also heard from his Momma that for my birthday he has drawn a card with a heart on it and asked every member of his family to sign it. such love!

Reagan, Anita, Anna, thank you all for your exclamations (!)

Heidi, love that truth you spoke.

Julia!!, so happy to see you here, you who normally can’t open a link! (wink). This boy loves you tons and we can’t wait to see you again!

8. Aimee says:

I love #3, “Make your eyes brighter than they really are. {Or, know that the eyes are the gate to the soul, and work to let all the love of God pour out through them and smile through them, too, and so bless those who look upon you.}” Thank you for sharing your art lesson and shifting my sight directly to Him. “Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.” ~ Matthew 18:4

9. Rachael says:

This is so adorable I am almost in tears. What a great job your doing Mom…for him to be able to see and reflect himself so well, accurately, and yet creatively. I just LOVE it both the picture his art and your wonderful observations and willingness to learn from him.