Strep-induced quiet

I’ve allowed myself to rest in bed for several days because I’m sick with this fiery, swollen throat that makes swallowing feel like giving birth.

From my horizontal position, I turned to watching clouds, my way of childhood, though nothing can ever compare to my sapphire Arizona skies with her swirling, captivating cumuli, so full and ripe for imagining. Sister and I staring into sky, taking turns for hours as familiar shapes emerged and troubles retreated.
baseball and clouds

Here from my window, decades on and short on fancy, I see a slow train coming, her engines gathering girth as she chugs forward. Following the iron horse is a charging elephant with turned up trunk, and I expected the rest of the herd, but there in his wake is the great Arizona horned toad. Toad gives way to the wispy puffs of an old man’s pipe.

Then all is clear and my cloud game is done. I declare, I do feel better.

********************

[weekend links]
Carnival of Homeschooling
More Homeschooling articles
And another Homeschool post
Christian Carnival

Technorati Tags: , , ,

This entry was posted in family life. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Strep-induced quiet

1. Gina says:

So sorry to hear you got it too-sure has been going around! Praying you feel better really fast!

Gina, I didn’t know it was going around–but obviously I picked it up somewhere! Thank you so much for the prayers. Today I feel like I’ve reached a turning point, and the antibiotics have done the hard work, and God has been healing. Onward. ;-)

3. Ruth Ann Smtih says:

I do hope that you are feeling lots better as you read this. What a fun time as a child to have a great imagination and that you can bring it back so quickly. I wonder how many young people actually look at the sky. I can remember doing that same thing. Get well quick…

4. Becky says:

Glad you are feeling better!

Thanks, Becky and Ruth Ann, I so appreciate the well wishes! Ruth Ann, I’m pretty positive every child who lives where there are skies and clouds finds shapes–now I’m wondering, is there anywhere on earth without clouds? That would be sad!

And now you’ve got me thinking that God must have known that clouds would bring us such pleasure with their crazy personality, and how kind of Him. :-)

6. What magical childhood memories. Yes, I too found cloud-shapes–in India,
    Blessings,
    Anita

Anita, oh, so happy to hear that children in India also find pictures in the clouds! Thanks so much for stopping by.