Homeschool Recess

digging forts at recess

Recess on the ranch is more fun than I remember from my childhood schoolyard. My school playground wasn’t nearly as bad as some (at least I had one), and I loved swinging the tetherball and merry-go-rounding, but I still have shadowy memories of pulled hair, pavement, and skipped turns.

Over here, though, our homeschool co-op kids get to build forts, dig holes while belting out “From the Halls of Montezuma” and run wild with all God’s creation for their recess. In my yard yesterday, toes curled around shovel heads, small hands arranged sticks, muscles flexed under loads of dirt. Real play in a real place.

And I breathed slow, inhaling the moment, that springtime of life that was all exhilaration and wonder. We are blessed.

What do you remember most about your school days? I’ll bet recess is among the top memories, whether good or bad.

*****
Links for your week:
Christian Carnival
Homeschool Carnival

Technorati Tags: , ,

This entry was posted in education, the ranch. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Homeschool Recess

1. Heather says:

Love it! So exciting what you guys are doing there!

Heather, thank you! I DO wish we had a pond for the kids, like the one at your dad’s place. But the dirt and trees and wildlife are not taken for granted one bit.

That’s a surreal photo of the kids… almost a 3D effect. Did you alter it? Or is it just the light and shadows playing together in a special way?

Yes, recess… I enjoyed tetherball and Red Rover… hardly remember those lovely elementary school years now. I admit, I preferred being in the classroom with all the books!!!

Hi e-Mom, no alteration on the photo. The sun had just broken through after a long winter’s nap. I think the bright red and black in the picture adds to the effect you’re seeing.

Oh, Red Rover! I had almost forgotten!

5. Kristin says:

Wonderful stories (lovely writing)! Thank you. I can almost smell those trees … and that dirt!

What I remember from school days:

Food!: I couldn’t wait for cafeteria fare (…) and I would often get seconds (and it showed!)

Bullies!: (who called me “stuck up” and a “Bible beater” … hmmm….

Boys!: so many crushes (Doug, Greg, Chris, Bobby…)

Tetherball: (we have even more in common, Jen!)

Report cards: (and getting grounded a lot…)

School pictures!: and some of the eccentric outfits worn for them, including a wedding gown (for Bobby…) and a gymnatard…

Thanks for the question… and the memories!

Kristin, I love the smell of this dirt! Something about it–is it because we were created from it?

I absolutely loved the memories you shared! I was fond of our cafeteria, too. We had breakfast at my school as well as lunch, and we had the nicest “lunch ladies” ever. They made a peanut butter syrup for the pancakes that still takes me right back there when I eat it today.

Bullies, boys, and balls–all part my school collage too.

You wore a wedding dress for Bobby?? Would love to hear that story!!

7. Kristin says:

Haha, thanks Jen, for the writing prompt. I’ll see about that story… meantime, I enjoyed your memories too. Our “lunch ladies” were so nice, too. And I loved the small cartons of milk (if one was lucky, there’d be chocolate cartons!)

And “peanut butter syrup” — sounds like something our kids would LOVE!

8. Renae says:

Lovely, Jen! I remember when we had a huge pile of dirt in our yard. I never considered it homeschool recess, but what fun the kids had digging tunnels.

Renae I guess it does sound strange to call digging in the dirt “recess” but, we do have a playground available and they choose the dirt. :-)

10. Heather says:

I’m loving your recess thoughts. My recess days were often filled with catty girlishness but the memories of splendid fun override those most of the time. I love how my own kids play natives, running and climbing trees and mixing elements of nature for their “stew” for dinner :)