The Human Condition

my flower bootA friend loses her job, a mother loses her mind. A child falls and scrapes her knee, a man falls off the wagon. I witnessed such struggles this week, and paused to note the challenge of being human.

In this world you will have trouble, declares the gospel of John. Do you sometimes get dragged down by what seems to be the inhumanity of our world? I had to stop taking the paper years ago because of the endless stream of black-hearted news that just wasn’t outweighed by the good. But burying my head in the sand isn’t that useful, because the black is there, too.

How do we function as humans, who have souls and eternity in our hearts, in this universe, that while oftentimes enjoyable, also harbors terror, grave injustice, fear, hatred, betrayal, and depression? With resignation? Fatalism? “That’s life.”

But wait, there’s a dawn rising, and I heard that joy comes in the morning.

You can get a new job, restore your mind, heal the wound, and climb back aboard. Really? There’s hope? Always. Can I share the remainder of the verse in John about trouble?

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Like water to a parched tongue are these words to my soul. I forget. I am Israel, and I forget. Jesus has overcome! There is an offering of peace and a call to courage in these parting words. The same power that raised Jesus from the dead IS at work in me. Beauty DOES rise from ashes. Trials DO produce perseverance, which in turn gives wisdom.

I am willing to be human.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

This entry was posted in religion. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Human Condition

1. Becky says:

Beautiful post…and just what I needed. Thank you!

Have a wonderful, peaceful weekend, Becky!

3. very encouraging to me today. thank you cyber friend.

Debi, so glad you’re encouraged; it’s a daily need of mine (encouragement), to both give and receive it. :-)

5. Thank you for posting this. i needed this encouragement as well. There is such hope in the Lord.

Halfmoon Jane, thinking of you. I live in the Psalms during troubled times and I’ll bet you do too. “Lift up your heads, O gates, And be lifted up, O ancient doors, That the King of Glory may come in!” He is strong and mighty in battle.

7. Becky k says:

Goodness! I really needed this verse today! Thank you for the reminder that, in Him, there is always hope.

Becky K, hi, thanks for checking in, can’t wait to see ya in a few weeks!

9. Ashley Wick says:

Such hope we have in Christ. I just listened to a message on that amazing verse, Jn.16:33 on Sat. night after we spent the day with you. Chris and I were both extremely blessed to be reminded of God’s powerful, graceful, and loving hand in all circumstances. I too am Israel, and I forget. Thank you for your beautiful gifted words of encouragement. Thankful for your friendship.

Ashley, HOPE! Yay! I’m glad I’m not alone in the forgetting~I do just shake my head at myself sometimes. {{{How He loves us}}}
    We are thankful for your family, every one of you!