Thankful in this place…

…for child-made Valentines, especially the glittery heart one that sparkled today in the sun, each of the thousand squares of tiny glitter unable to outshine the joy of the son in the giving.

…for chocolate truffles and coffee, dark as midnight and as smooth and strong as David’s stones, and particularly for the thoughtful hand that delivered the gift.

…for rib eye steak and a night in, and mostly for the request from him to cook a special gourmet dinner together in the kitchen. Who is this sophisticated man and where is the uncultured one I married? (wink)

…for a new refrigerator that doesn’t leak, doesn’t freeze the lettuce within two hours, doesn’t belong to another century, doesn’t open the wrong way, but does come with a message from above that says “I love you and I will bless you when you least expect it.”

…for my grandmother’s watch, newly discovered last week in a box of junk jewelry left to me twenty years ago, and for the ultimate surprise that it indeed works and is a beautiful piece of antique art, running a bit fast just like she used to.

…for gratitude, a gift in itself.

This entry was posted in family life, features, holidays and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Thankful in this place…

1. Heather says:

Beautiful and encouraging. Especially love the fridge bit, and the truffles– we got some in the mail today– a definite blessing. :)

Heather, truffles in the mail, does it get any better?

3. Becky says:

So many small things to be thankful for if we only stop and pay attention!!

Becky, “stop” as you said, is such a huge key to thankfulness! Our power was out for a full day earlier this week, and what a blessing to be forced to stop; it was an outstanding day, and what better way than no possibility of artificial light to be ushered into a candlelight dinner?

5. Kristin says:

Beautifully written (“valentines…each of the thousand squares of tiny glitter unable to outshine the joy of the son in the giving.).

I am so happy you “discovered” your grandmother’s watch (loved your “a beautiful piece of antique art, running a bit fast just like she used to.”). Enjoy wearing it).

As for discoveries, I have just viewed your lovely photo (holding the book).

Happy weekend :-)

6. Love how you wrote this post, love that you found your gramma’s watch, and love that you will no longer have frozen vegetables!

7. tipper says:

Nice-it is the little things isn’t it : )

Kristin, Jane, and Tipper, thank you all. I’m still wearing the watch every day. I haven’t worn a watch in 3 or 4 years, and honestly I wouldn’t have bought a new one for myself, so this find was extra special.