It’s a good thing Raphael didn’t attend public school in modern day Wisconsin

Raphael's The Transfiguration

The Tomah Area School District in Wisconsin has a policy that bans Christian symbols in students’ artwork, leading to a high school student receiving a Zero on his illustration depicting a landscape with a cross and the lettering “John 3:16.”

Michelangelo, Raphael, Da Vinci, Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Giotto, and the rest of the famous artists who produced the religious masterpieces of the world: I’m forever grateful that you didn’t live in 21st century America where you have to sign away your freedom of religious expression.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

This entry was posted in arts & crafts, education, history, religion. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to It’s a good thing Raphael didn’t attend public school in modern day Wisconsin

1. It is so sad but at the same time is to be expected and in fact in most parts of the world it is much, much worse. Every time something like this occurs my husband and I look at each other and remind each other that we are promised persecution and here in the USA we have a lot less than most. Of course constitutionally speaking that is so horribly, horribly wrong and I am surprised that it hasn’t been taken to court.

SmallWorld, I heard about this incident several weeks ago, but wasn’t going to write anything about it. I mean, there’s always something like this going on. But when the thought of a young Raphael or da Vinci facing a school teacher like this one struck me, it was eye opening and terrifying. Certainly, this student in question can create whatever art he wants on his own time outside of school, BUT when he’s in an art class, receiving instruction and supposedly honing his skills, and he’s prohibited from such a meaningful expression of himself – absolute insanity. ESPECIALLY when other students were allowed to create Hindu, Buddhist, and demonic art, and some of it was even hanging on the school walls!

Heather, a lawsuit has been filed by the Alliance Defense Fund on behalf of the student, named as A.P. The student was apparently told by the school (or perhaps this teacher, it wasn’t clear) that he had “signed away his First Amendment rights” at the beginning of the semester when he began the art class.

4. O Bloody Hell says:

> that he had “signed away his First Amendment rights” at the beginning of the semester when he began the art class.

Students have no rights in modern day Amerikkka, don’cha know? It’s all that eeeevil Bushitler McHalliburton’s fascist machinations.

I’ve always found it particularly ironic that there is all this (mildly justified) hue and cry over the GOP’s supposed trampling of civil rights, while The Left prances around like a gay, drunk bull in the china shop of civil rights, completely unnoted.

===========================
    P.S., FIRE should also get involved in this case. It’s right up their alley.

5. Linnet says:

No! Really? How awful.

O Bloody Hell, you are so paranoid. :-) It’s pure coincidence that minor students have no right to draw pictures of little crosses on their own papers, but have a right to abortions, condoms, and certain deviant indoctrinations.

Linnet, yes, say it isn’t so. But this is the truth of America.

That is a gorgeous, fabulous work of art, and excuse me for a minute while I’m distracted by the intense colors and subject matter of this outstanding reproduction. (She’s fanning her face…)

Yes, this sort of issue is precisely the reason why we opted not to send our kids to public school. We’ve never regretted the sacrifices… :~D

8. E. Wilson says:

This is another sad step in the direction of a society lost in the throes of spiritual reprobation. But dont’ forget that this was prophesied by Jesus (Matt 10, Mark 13, et al.) so don’t be so surprised.

What you can do is to interview the schools in your area (if you’re not home-schooling) and get informed as to the rights of your child on these issues, and also to instruct your child to never sign a “waiver” form (like the one in the article) unless they contact you first.

Also, it never hurts to pray. ;2)

Jesus bless.

9. E. Wilson says:

Oh, I found this article from the Tomah Journal, a local newspaper. It sheds a little more light on the issue, but sadly, there’s a lot that’s still not being described here, but anyways:

e-Mom, it is gorgeous, isn’t it? Good choice on your sacrifices for your children – I agree, I don’t think we’ll ever regret those decisions made on their behalf.

E. Wilson, thanks for the link. I’m not surprised, and I do know that this sort of thing will continue. We do homeschool, but you’ve given a good reminder to students in public schools to be aware of “waivers” they sign, and talk it over with parents first.

11. Since when can a minor sign a legally binding contract without the consent of his legal parent/guardian?

12. Mandi says:

Well said Jen!

13. E. Wilson says:

Yeah, I think the parents were there at the waiver signing, from what I’ve been able to glean here (though it’s not that clear in the articles), and in that case the parents are the ones who were sleeping.